MECTA CAPTAINS MEETING
April 16, 2003
The meeting was held at 5:30 PM at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Sub-committee met to discuss events and problems that we run into with the current routine;
- 2 out of the 5 meets will remain the same – as far as relays are concerned;
- Scorers and officials will have to understand the scoring/arrangement of the new relay events – come up with new names?
- Concern that there won’t be enough ages to field the new relays;
- Concern that smaller teams won’t be able to field the new relays;
- Length of meets because of new relays;
- Concern about how to line people up in the team 800;
- Concern that sprints and field events will run into one another;
- Try switching things around during the first meet to see if it’s worth switching all meets in the future – motion made, seconded, discussed: all in favor with the exception of one;
- Peter S. will re-evaluate field events and come back with a proposal.
Regional Meet Flyer:
- 5K course at South Portland?
- Place a “tentative” beside the 5K on the flyer;
- Potluck idea so that MECTA isn’t responsible for expenses, etc.;
- Scratch the cookout? 6 for canceling cookout, 1 opposed, 1 abstain;
- Charges for out-of-state athletes?
- Motion to not allow out-of-state individuals at Regionals – 3 in favor, 3 opposed;
- Motion to allow out-of-state individuals to compete at Regionals with perimeters – amended to be part of USATF, $20 fee, individuals scored as individuals, 2-week sign-up prior to meet – 5 in favor, 3 opposed.
Certificate of Deposit Renewal:
- 1.43% interest rate in CD;
- 8-month CD;
- motion to roll it over to another 8-months, seconded – all in favor.
Dues & Rosters:
- turn in dues and rosters prior to first meet;
- no dues/rosters, no run;
- rosters by Friday, May 16th;
- rosters by Friday before each meet for new athletes;
- Falmouth 5/28; Brunswick 6/11; South Portland 6/28; Falmouth 7/9; South Portland 7/26.
- defer the draftees until May meeting.
- USCAA accepted MECTA bid for 2004 Nationals; will let us run the show; 2-3 members to serve on NIT; keep our own books but provide USCAA with data; USCAA/MECTA to share profit/loss; 7 in favor, none opposed.
- Maine Marathon – to be reviewed at a future meeting in more detail.
Submitted by April Laverriere, April 22, 2003.